<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2004-09-18

subject: Crazy lady lives (though perhaps not for long)

Allow me to explain. My school, Collège, is close to Centre Taché, which is a place for people who have problems... as in they're sometimes not all there. Some of the people also have relativly free range. Now, this isn't always a problem. I'm not saying that my school is swarming with crazies. There was this one time this guy wandered into the theater class one night, though, and started talking to me. Kinda odd... he was hard to understand, kept repeating himself. Call me crazy, but I wasn't hugely tempted to take him up on his offer to go out with him. He was way older.

There is also Crazy lady. I know, I know, not the nicest name to give to her. But she does have problems. I met her my first year at Collège, when she'd be in the cafeteria almost every day. I didn't understand who she was at first... I was pretty certain she wasn't a student, but I didn't know why she was always there. Sometimes, she'd cause minor problems in the cafeteria... being rude to staff sometimes, trying to cut in lines, majorly possesive of one table... and the chairs at said table. Heaven help you if you tried to borrow an empty chair from the table when she was sitting there.

She disappeared for a bit in second year, and again in third year. People would idely wonder where she went. She's back again this year; hence, crazy lady lives.

But she almost didn't.

She needs to learn how to cross roads. Now, normally, I figure that if you're not at a cross walk or at a sidewalk or something, you're jay-walking and should watch for cars around you before stepping off the sidewalk. I also figure that people who are planning to cross a street (anywhere) when cars are coming should not take for granted that the car will stop for them. Finally, I kinda think that if someone is just standing kind of idly by the curb at the side of the street, has been for quite some time (despite the fact that they could have safely crossed the road by that time), should take into consideration the fact that, because they look kind of spacey and indecisive, that a driver would assume that they had yet to make up their mind as to whether or not they wanted to cross the road at that time, and perhaps need a bit more time to make that difficult decision. Perhaps they are just waiting for the chicken, and she's running a bit late. I don't know.

My point is: a pedestrian SHOULD NOT stand idly at the curb for a few minutes (especially close to a bus-stop), not move, not give ANY indication that they are planning to cross the street any time soon AND THEN casually start stepping off the curb basically RIGHT in front of the ONLY car on the road (me, in this case) when they could easily wait two seconds for the car to pass or could have crossed the road (in an equally safe manner) a couple of minutes before.

This is what Crazy lady did to me on Thursday on my way home from school. Luckily, I had time to stop for her. She was standing a bit too close to the curb for my comfort, I was worried that she might fall and land on the street right in front of my car (irrational fear, I know. I have the same thing with bicycles). I already had my eye on her, and stopped in time for her to cross. Someone else may not have. Hence, she almost DID NOT live. And I would have been traumatised.

In other notes:
Agenda decorating party last night: was fun. Shannon and Joy didn't come... losers. Had fun without them. Much glue and pictures and fun stuff was used. Must do this more often. Have to kind of be careful of what I put in my agenda now. I'm in the Faculty of Education, and now offically bound by the MTS (Manitoba Teacher's Society, not Manitoba Telephone Service) code of conduct. Acting in a professional manner is on that list. It's hard to look professional if the little kiddies happen to see that I've got some weird stuff posted in my agenda.

Actually, I think that's the only other not for today. Hmm... okay then. Later all!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?